How to use “however” in formal writing
This is how to use however in formal writing, such as business correspondence, emails etc.
- However has a similar meaning to nevertheless or despite this.
- However contrasts a sentence against the preceding sentence.
- However often begins a sentence. It is followed by a comma.
- We do not use however to join two sentences.
Here are some examples:
- We had a small drop in sales last month. However, we are still above the plan.
- We invited 100 customers to the presentation. However, only about 50 came.
We invited 100 customers to the presentation however only about 50 came.
We can also use however in the middle of a sentence:
- We had a small drop in sales last month. We are, however, still above the plan.
- The drop in sales was mainly due to the bad weather. There were, however, other factors.
Don’t forget the comma before and after however in the last two examples!