Grammar & vocabulary resources
Welcome to our grammar & vocabulary section: an easy-to-use reference for teachers and learners.
See explanations and examples of Business and General English in the categories below, or search the whole site here:
- List of all English tenses
present simple, past simple, present perfect . . .
first conditional, second conditional, etc.
- Adjectives and adverbs
new, quick, quickly . . .
so, but, because . . .
- Modal verbs
can, should, might . . .
in, on, at . . .
he, she, it, them . . .
- Reported speech
- Spelling rules
- Verb structures verb + ing, verb + to . . .
- Word order
- Other grammar rules A-Z
Vocabulary: elementary / pre-intermediate
- English irregular verbs (the 70 most common) spoke, ate, drank, made, . . .
- 10 important phrasal verbs wash up, slow down, give up, . . .
- 10 uncountable nouns: types of material wood, glass, metal, . . .
- 10 uncountable nouns: types of food meat, rice, bread, . . .
- 10 common informal words kids, bike, . . .
- Names of family members mother, son, daughter, . . .
- Names of shapes square, rectangle, circle, . . .
- Male vs. female words for jobs actor – actress, barman – barmaid, . . .
Vocabulary: intermediate and above
- Irregular verbs (complete list)
eat, ate, eaten
take, took, taken, . . .
- Plural nouns (10 examples)
scissors, clothes, . . .
- Collective nouns
a set of, a swarm of, a shoal of, . . .
- Uncountable nouns often confused
- Abstract nouns
patience, bravery, . . .
- Adjectives used as nouns
the deaf, the blind, . . .
Vocabulary: Business English
- English curriculum vitae – how to write a CV / resumé in English
- Telephone language – how to speak on the phone in English
- 100 Essential Business verbs
- 100 Essential Business nouns
- Business letter-writing phrases / Yours faithfully, yours sincerely
- More useful phrases for business emails and letters (requests, complaining, apologising)
- Making requests in emails and letters
- How to use however in formal writing
- How to use as in formal writing
- How to use nevertheless in formal writing
- Presentation language and phrases
- Marketing vocabulary 1
- Marketing vocabulary 2